Tuesday 11 October 2011

Tikim22: From Balkan Express with Love (San Juan)

When I first heard about Balkan Express from Spot.ph; I wondered what cuisine do they serve. All I know is that it is something I haven’t tried. Due to lack of geographic knowedge, I had a minor boo-boo in a short conversation I had with the owner, Marko Batricevic.I accidentally asked “Oh, you are Siberian?” Don’t make the same mistake as I did, so here is a little background about the Balkans.

According to WorldAtlas.com, the Balkan peninsula is in the southeastern part of Europe.  It includes the countries of Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia [not Siberia, hehehe], Slovenia, and Turkey. One of the cuisines in the Balkan peninsula is Serbian cooking.Serbia food recipes have roots from Greek and Croatian cooking and it is known to be nutritious, spicy, and tasty.



Balkan Express
Owner is taking orders

Balkan Express Menu Board

For Europeans who miss this cuisine and for those who want to try something new, the Balkan Express in San Juan is available to experience the said characteristics of Balkan food. The place is cozy, it actually reminds me of Everything At Steak. In short, this is a comfort food restaurant!
Inside Balkan Express
On the table, we ordered the following. Taste-wise the Goulash was yummy! Evan loved the soup, tender beef and a hint of spice!Chicken batak (grilled chicken fillet with mozza). The combination is just right although I'd prefer if there will be a special sauce that goes with the chicken to just have taste variations (ex. like adding some spicy herbs on the side). 
Goulash: Beef Stew
Up close with goulash

Chicken Batak: Grilled Boneless Chicken stuffed with mozzarella

Wasn't able to order this, but the owner allowed me to take a picture of his dinner.The stuffed Pljeskavica, a house specialty, will be on my next order the next time I come here. 
Stuffed Pljeskavica: Stuffed Cheeseburger
French fries for me! nothing really special with the fires. A special dip would be great to differentiate their fries from other. maybe some mozzarella? or some mixed herbs! :)
French Fries for me
Taste: 3.5/5
Price:4 /5
Ambiance:3/5


Balkan Express
87 Jose Abad Santos St. corner Mons St.
Little Baguio, City of San Juan
Telephone: 3300945
owners name: Marko Batricevic

No comments:

Post a Comment