Sunday 12 August 2012

Tikim52: Eat,Pray,Love at L'eau Vive (Otis, Manila)

L'eau Vive, a french word which means living water. Why living water? I guess it has something to do as Christ as the living water, who nourishes both the emotional and spiritual aspects of humanity. Not sure with the reason behind the name, I am sure the sisters/servers will gladly answer you if you ask them. With the concept of "living water" L'eau Vive is a restaurant with a difference. You say how? It's a non-profit restaurant that is run by nuns for the orphanage that they look after. When you eat at Leau Vive, you help the the orphanage and at the same time treat yourself to be open in trying out a new experience.
Starry night at L'eau Vive
The restaurant area of the orphanage
Garden view 
L'eau Vive serves French cuisine. Even the servers are foreign nuns that definitely know how to speak French. I say this is a good place for one to practice conversational French. The nuns are happy to converse with diners and you will feel their sincerity in getting to know you. So touching.
Me and Sister Martina :)
Service was a bit slow but that's okay because this is a different kind of restaurant. While our orders were being cooked; complimentary french baguettes were served. You can ask for another serving at no additional cost! Evan liked this because it reminded him of his business trips in France some years back.
Complimentary baguettes
Check out what I have ordered:
Soupe à l'oignin gratinèe P210

This simply means French onion soup with cheese. This tastes like my mom's home made French onion soup, so it's good!!!  Just wished there was more onion and cheese in the soup. I  also dipped my baguette in the soup to make the bread soggy! I just like my bread soaked in French onion soup! I'll worry about taking a mint later because of the onions! Haha

Canard à l'orange (pomme dauphine) P300
Up close, see the bread puffs!
Canard à l'orange (pomme dauphine) is duck meat with orange sauce and fried potato puffs. This plate is just a regular/medium sized; if you are sharing with someone, they have this in a larger size. This tastes like roasted pigeon of Chinese restaurants; the potato puffs are so cute!!! I somehow associate it with munchkins; dip it with the sauce please for that tangy sweet taste.
Gambas marinès au gingembre et à l'orange (Riz) P530
These are prawns marinated in ginger and fresh orange juice that is with rice. There are about 3 pieces of prawns; its a bit hard to cut with a knife not sure if it's just me or the knife. For the marinade, it again reminded me of Chinese cooking, maybe because of the ginger is often used in Chinese cuisine.  


Profiteroles au chocolat P220
French style whoopie pies!
For dessert, me and Evan ordered Profiteroles au chocolat, oven baked puffs pastry sandwiching vanilla ice-cream, and hot chocolate sauce on top. Sister Martina told me it was the best seller! First time to eat something like this, if you are a chocolate lover, you might like the chocolate sauce 'coz it is dark chocolate, it's not sweet!

Remember when you eat at L'eau Vive, it is not all about presentation, it is more about the dining experience. Although presentation helps in amping up the appetite, L'eau Vive's main purpose is helping raise funds for the orphanage; so eating French cuisine in an orphanage is an experience itself that makes the food great! Spread the word about L'eau Vive, the restaurant with a difference. 

Taste: N/A
Quality: N/A
Ambiance: N/A

For this special restaurant, giving a grade is not applicable. I want you to experience it without any influence on your thoughts :). Oh just to remind you, they are on a cash basis only.

L'eau Vive
Address: 1499 Paz M. Guanzon Ave (formerly Otis),
               Paco, Manila

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm thankful I found your blog. I've been searching for reviews for Leau Vive Restaurant and it's only few.

    We are having a Christmas Party at Leau Vive, so I searched for reviews and articles regarding the whole restaurant and I think your blog gives me a very positive view about it.

    The food looks great. The ambiance is amazing and the view at night is really awesome.
    Seeing you with Sister Martina, I think the people there are kind.

    I just want to know how to pronounce "Leau Vive" :-) Hope you'd teach me. Thanks.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had my first dinner here last night 24 January 2014 - doble na presyo ng Duck in orange+cognac ... masarap ... and never the "un-french-y" ambience - the French-speaking Carmelite nuns makeup for it - thanks for this review. Definitely going back there to try other dishes, and to hold some events :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. correction - "never mind the "un-french-y" ambience ....

      Delete