Thursday 1 March 2012

Tikim33: Good Vibes at Van Gogh is Bipolar (Maginhawa, Quezon City)

I heard a lot about this feel good restaurant in Maginhawa Street; and so curiosity led me to try out Van Gogh is Bipolar on a special day. Indeed it was, the place was food-gasm and I was picture-happy to document this experience!

I got a bit lost going to the restaurant since there were no big signage. The restaurant is located inside a yellow building and when you enter inside, and you'll quickly notice the door entrance with many shoes and a garden area that reminded me of Alice and Wonderland.
Van Gogh entrance
A little sign that I am in the right place
At first, I was hesitant to enter the restaurant, I guess I got used to having guards and waiters invite or welcome me in their stores. The place is actual the quirky home of the bi-polar chef, Jetro.  He cooks happy inducing food and you get the food from the counter (self service). Sometimes he has a friend who helps out in guiding people how to order--- one can get a bit confused with the ordering process since everything is unconventional---self service from making your own tea to paying your bill!
The quirky interiors and what not toys you see inside are great for conversation starters
Self-service: Order and Check-out.
 See the board for the set menu
Honesty system in paying, just put money in the red box
Choose your teapot then...
choose a tea that suits the mood you want to achieve, their tea tastes well with honey
Got their famous Avocado Tea, my first time to try! 
For the special day that I am celebrating with Evan; we decided to order the 5 course meal (P999). Definitely "busog" and full-feeling after dessert, This set includes the following:
Courtney love drink
The Courtney love drink was like a four-seasons fruit shake, just this time I think different fruit combination was used ~ definitely green apple and a citrus taste was reminiscent. It is also a healthier version of fruit shakes because natural sugar, honey, is used as the sweetener! 
Wild Turkey Soup
This soup has an unexplainable "sopas" creamy citrus taste! Surprisingly, there's even a fried banana that complements everything!I don't know what is in the soup but I like it! 
This is how it was served.
Egg submer
This is the axel rose eggshot. You eat it by pouring the organic egg yolk in the fruit sauce that has blueberry. It was another first time for me to gulp a raw egg yolk with fruit sauce; Jetro helped me prepare this eggshot and he even gave a trivia (Egg is a stress reliever)! Evan and I toasted our eggshots!
Garden Salad
"Wow!!!" Cashew nuts, tomatoes, fried banana chips (my favorite topping!), Sun-dried fish, salted duck egg, sweet mango, pickles, basil, and a hot steamed 1 whole cabbage to wrap these toppings is just WOW! It was overwelhming at first because of the big plate but me and Evan ended up finishing this dish! You use your hands to do the wrapping and you have the option of putting the black vegetable sauce that has a spicy tangy taste. It was actually my favorite, why? I like salads, discovered that fried banana chips + mango + sun-dried fish goes very well with hot cabbage and tangy sauce, and that cabbage is said to be the best vegetable to beat depression!
Turkey with Black Mountain Rice
Fish with Mash Potato
Come main meal, Evan and I were already full but still it didn't stop us from eating the yummy black mountain rice from the turkey meal. The rice has a grape flavor that I eat it alone like Chinese fried rice. The black mountain rice is the rarest native rice in the Philippines that is rich in fiber and folic acid. After tasting the black rice, Evan bought a bag of it from Rustan's and it's the rice he eats now while I occasionally eat it at home too!

The fish (emperor) meal served with small potatoes mango green apple, basil, red beefs also tastes good. The banana chip, mango, and green apple added sweetness to the dark (blueberry?) sauce.
Mel Gibson's Dark Sin
Marilyn Monro's Ice Lolly
For dessert, Evan chose the Mel gibson dark sin; a chocolate dessert while I chose the other option: Marilyn Monroe's Ice Lolly. Evan had a wild and sinful dessert, as the picture shows, the dark chocolate was submerged in vodka. You first spoon out the chocolate from the vodka, then drink the vodka, and use the chocolate as a chaser. This is why it is sinful = vodka + chocolate! Evan got surprised with how good a combination it was and he felt the kick from the vodka...it makes me wonder if I can survive this shot without getting dizzy. As for my wholesome dessert, it was refreshing like halo-halo! I love how the "Carabao"/Water buffalo's milk complements the fruits.
Photo-op with the chef!
Reserve now!
The dishes speak for themselves! I can't further explain how good the set meal is but from ordering to eating the  is an EXPERIENCE TO TRY. The food trivia that I learned plus the personal touch and done by Jetro was heartwarming and sincere in getting to know his guests/visitors/diners :) It is very nice to meet a chef in person that is very humble :)! The  Unconventional space and the positive atmosphere created in Van gogh is a celebration of life itself! It is something to try out. Don't forget to make reservations because the restaurant only serves 12 diners per night! :)

Taste: 5/5
Quality: 5/5
Ambiance: 5/5
***My first PERFECT rating restaurant!

Van Gogh is Bipolar
154 H Maginhawa Street,
Sikatuna Village, Quezon City 1103
Contact: 0922-8243015 for reservations. [Note:12 diners per night only!]
Website: http://www.facebook.com/vgibipolar

No comments:

Post a Comment